Thursday, September 26, 2024

 Got to spar yesterday. Officially it was "shadowbox sparring" but 2 out of my 3 partners ignored that.

First opponent was a young guy about my height. Constantly circled to his left so my rights kept intercepting. When he'd try to react and switch direction, he walked into my left hook. I was barely touching him because he was going appropriately light, so this was basically point sparring.

Second opponent was the big guy I've worked with before who definitely did not point spar, but while he made contact more solidly than the coach instructed, I didn't mind at all. They weren't asshole punches but around what I expect when we're supposed to go at 50%. He's the tallest guy I've ever sparred at around 6'4 and I was having trouble landing to his head. His jab was long but my guard was tight. Coach instructed me to hit the body more, which was a reminder I needed. I was hitting his body so easily at first that I tried to be "fair" while also challenging myself to go for his head, but I'd be better served in that goal precisely by hammering the body. The goal is to find openings: exploit them, don't be nice. I also need to extend my jab more when sparring, I have more reach to give. 

Third opponent was another young guy who was my height, but more skilled than the first partner and someone who also connected at around 50% so I matched him. Same tactic - he kept circling in the same direction and I kept intercepting. Thought I'd shaken the bad habit of asking people if they're OK but he totally ate a left hook that he moved into that prompted a check-up from me and I was conscious that we were supposed to point spar. He landed good ones of his own and kept a very good guard.

We switched partners after sparring to work on some simple drills: 1-2 to the body, then a 3 that we ducked, and afterwards, ducking left and right hooks in succession. 

Something that's been really bothering me are my sinuses. I'm having to blow my nose every break we get. Will look into natural remedies, meds, and nose strips, probably in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment