Friday, June 21, 2024

Did this yesterday after work:

Overhead dumbbell press (seated)
80s x 8, 7, 7

Incline dumbbell press
80s x 8

Chin-ups: 4 x 10

Single leg curls:
290 x 15

Sandbag squats:
200 x 15

From here, I packed a bag and walked to the health club. I figured I got the basics covered at home so I wouldn't be annoyed at lacking equipment or having to wait for machines on my first day there.

I hate to admit it but I had a fantastic time. Chin-ups aggravate my elbow a little by rep 7 or 8 and I haven't been able to do them weighted for that reason, so I came here with a primary mission to use a back machine. I absolutely blew up my upper-back doing high-angle rows on one (practically a lat pull-down) but without any elbow pain, which was the best part. Also got in some cable chest-flyes, leg pressing, and curls for fun, and finished with 5 minutes on the elliptical. 

From there, went to shower and then hit-up the steam room, infrared sauna, cold plunge (only got in partially to test how cold they kept it), and outdoor sauna in the pool area. Stared at the sunset through the sauna and muttered to myself "Dammit, I like this a lot." 

The outdoor sauna is by a row of bonfires and lounge chairs. The sign-up lady informed me there's group happy hour here every Friday and invited me to the one happening today. My Friday happy hour involves throwing leather at the boxing gym but I said thank you.

The infrared sauna was interesting. The room felt fairly cool but the seats and walls were hot.

Sitting in the steam room and traditional sauna made me think of my dad the whole time. Was staring at the sauna rocks and remembered touching them when I was a little kid as my dad shouted "Don't!" to me and how we'd always laugh at that story when I was older.

Even though I get a good deal of daily walking in as-is, walking to and from here also increases that. Came home feeling very refreshed and a touch nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment