Thursday, March 21, 2024

 Had a fantastic boxing session on Tuesday. Seems there's a new coach for Tuesdays. It was hooking day (not the kind you'd get a hotel for). We drilled the left hook, pivoting, left hook from that angle, then pivoting back. Soon added pivoting into a double jab. Very simple, but keeping everything fluid and without winding up to emphasize speed and spontaneity over power was the goal. 

Eventually partnered up and started by throwing nothing but hooks on the mitts. My partner didn't look super in-shape, but it turned out he has a good amount of Muay Thai experience. That's when I noticed he's the only other person I've seen here with MT gloves like me. He threw some impressive hooks with a style that really whipped his arm into it, but I definitely prefer to keep my arm a little tighter and lean my weight into it more. It was fun as hell to hold mitts for him, though. When my turn to strike was done, he commented to the coach that he wasn't trying to stumble around, it was my power moving him.

I maintained good speed and power throughout all rounds. My conditioning is among the top in the class from what I can honestly observe, although this is still the intermediate level.

I keep forgetting to ask about signing up for sparring. The gym's website states they require a clean physical on file, which is annoying.

Left shoulder was sore on Wednesday from so many hooks. Seems obvious but I need to remember to drill individual punches repetitively like this.

Wednesday morning, I did a 3-minute workout comprised of banded tricep pressdowns, preacher curls, and standing alt dumbbell curls.

This morning, I got in 3 minutes of shadowboxing followed-by 30 burpees.

No comments:

Post a Comment