Wednesday, February 21, 2024

By the time boxing was supposed to start yesterday nothing was happening, the coach who I had just greeted wasn't around, and there was nobody else in the room except for two guys working the bags, so I put my phone timer on and started skipping rope by myself. 3 minutes later as I'm finishing the round, everyone comes filtering in and the coach instructs everyone to start skipping rope. That pissed me off, but I got over it and took advantage of having to skip rope for a 6-minute round instead of 3. It's just that this was the coach and room (secondary space from the main gym) that I had my first boring, low energy class with, although I've come to find that I enjoy this day when adjacent to other crazy conditioning-intensive sessions during the week.

Did the same fun but odd "sparring" where we have to tap our partner's shoulders or knees. I'm not sure why it's the knees and not the torso.

Did a bunch of conditioning after that, including medicine ball slams and burpees, but also some footwork drills using the rope ladders.

Ended with hard rounds on the bag. This class is always small, probably because it's not in the main room, so out of the 4 other young, skinny guys, my heavy bag work was standing out in terms of noise and making the canvas move. Saw some stuffing fly out, too. Not proud to compare myself to much weight classes but it was impossible to ignore.

Had a nice conversation with the coach after class. He's a young guy who did kickboxing before and had to stop competing due to a surgery, but wants to get back into competing while juggling a tough schedule of classes and working at the gym. I told him a little of my own story, being much olderthan him but wanting to fulfill a dream of fighting before I cross into my 40s. We bro-fisted and gave each other encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment