Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Got the past 4 days to cover.

Friday: Went to the doc's for the first time since I can't even remember. Purposefully chose a doctor that made mention of physical activity in his or her bio. I did well, he was fantastic. Commended me for hitting the weights and wasn't worried about my weight or overeating, but he did suggest blood tests after I said that. Blood pressure is good. The staff member who drew my blood seemed to have trouble and a bump on my arm that formed got pretty swollen and red. I kept saying I'm fine when a more experienced nurse took over and asked if I'm OK. My bicep also made the tourniquet pop off twice. 

Boxing went much better than Tuesday. More experienced, more engaged coach. Had a sore left shoulder from shots and a painful, bandaged right forearm from the botched blood draw, which was just another training obstacle to me. Drills were very simple and consisted of jabs and 1-2s mixed in with free rounds via shadowboxing and bagwork. Also took turns of jabbing while moving backwards down the length of the gym and back.

Coach commented that I'll have trouble keeping guard as tight as other people because of how thick my upper-body is, which was kind of rad to hear, and to just do my best. I don't walk around with invisible lat syndrome but they definitely push my arms out more than normal.

Got a welcome reminder to step out at an angle more when coming forward. He held me after class to drill stepping in while ducking, then pivoting while throwing a jab or cross. We added a strike during the step-in, too. 

One annoying thing about this place: the heavy bags are clustered together. It's basically impossible to move and throw punches at range; have to stay very close to the bag and they hit nearby people  sometimes. It's also hard for the instructor to see you when you're in the middle of a small punching bag crowd.

Saturday: Squatted 450x7, 410x3, 320x8, 230x8, 140x8, and a 50 lb kettlebell x 10, done in one strip-set. Afterwards, I felt like I got hit by a truck and this feeling persisted for the rest of the day. I was likely feeling extra fatigue from the prior day's shots.

Sunday: Felt rundown. Benched 315 x 4, 3, 3, then 275x7, super-set with 125lb dumbbell rows x 10.

Monday: Did some single-leg curls on the reverse-hyper for the first time and they're great. I don't have to overload the machine with a ton of plates when I want to save time. Super-set 2 sets of 15 with 20 kettlebell swings, went on a jog, then used the ab wheel and Captains of Crush gripper.

Results of my bloodwork are mostly very good. Only point of concern is cholesterol being at an elevated risk but not a high risk. Will see how the change in diet and weight play out. It was fantastic to find all this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment