Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Went to a Muay Thai class at AKA on Thursday. Really excellent session, left me little doubt in my mind I want to come here more. The coach that evening, Derrick Yuen, actually taught one of my other coaches at XMA, Payam, for his kickboxing fights back in the day. He's a great dude with a stoic patience about the way he teaches. Definitely not the loud OSU-type that wants to hype the class up. I appreciate both personalities.

Got told I'm not rotating my shoulders enough when I kick. Shoulder should block the jaw to some degree. Made an instant correction as soon as I was told this and he said good job.

Most of the session was teaming up with partners and going back and forth between a simple jab followed by a low kick. After enough of this, we took turns push-kicking and batting it away to change trajectory. Really basic stuff but I have never actually learned to parry a push-kick.

Reviewing the fundamentals with a live opponent was a welcome step back to shaking off rust and remembering what it's like to react to a moving target versus the endless bouts of heavy bag work and shadow boxing I've been doing during the pandemic, which by the way have served me extremely well. I could just tell I looked far more polished than the last time I stepped into a gym and I change directions much more fluidly and naturally now when shadowboxing as opposed to just facing the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you could get back at it dude, and that the heavy bag work paid off. You've absolutely made the most out of what you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. That Thai bag gift has become a staple, I can't imagine not having it now.

      Delete