Monday, May 20, 2024


My dad passed away last Wednesday. I can’t say it was unexpected with how his health was, but it was nonetheless an emotional shock. I had spoken to him at midnight the night before to check on him and tell him I was staying home from work the next day, to which his last words to me were “Ok” while he was laying in bed. I found him unresponsive the next morning.

I had been his caretaker for certain things like driving him to the store and doing chores around the house for the last 10 years and opted to stay with him after everyone else had moved away so he wouldn’t be alone. He was a real hard man, an old-school badass, but incredibly loving to his children at the same time. Also, just my best friend, which I’ve mentioned in my log numerous times. We had a lot of great inside jokes, often taken from movie lines via Commando, Rocky 3, Braveheart, and others.

One badass exchange we had recently (imperfect English intentional):

Dad looking at my black cat: “In Iran, they scare of black cat. They think they’re the devil.”
Me: “Hah, are you scared of him?”
Dad: “No. I am devil myself.”

The past week has been a mix of grieving, taking care of appointments, and of course, training. I did this yesterday:

2-board press
315 x 3
345 x 2

Close-grip bench press
245 x 8, 8
225 x 10

Super-set with reverse hyper rows: 290 x 3 x 12

Dumbbell flye press
50s x 12, 12

Seated curls with Fat Gripz
35s x 12, 10, 10

Today is the first day back at work and I’m tackling tasks bit by bit, but I’m looking forward to the day being over.

No comments:

Post a Comment