Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bench press
257 x 3
295 x 3
327 x 3
Set-up was too hurried in a sad attempt to time a good part of a song with the lift off. Bar kept rolling around in my hands and I misgrooved the path each rep. Good show of powering through.

Band rows
20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

Strict press (clean at start)
165 x 10, 10, 10, 10

Clean and press
205 x 2
Fatigued on the third clean. Won't always train cleans pre-exhausted like this, no worries.
Clean only at start
205 x 4
Large carpenter bee flew in front of my face and distracted, but I was starting to get sloppy anyway.

Curls
135 x 15, 15

External rotations, face pulls

3 comments:

  1. I had a hornet that kept flying in between the holes on my yoke yesterday, haha. Bad seasons for outdoor training. The cleans will go a long way I'm sure. This contest is going to be about getting comfortable with the movement and having the cardio to cut down rest between cleans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get a hornet nest in your yoke then any contest yoke will be easy for sure after training with it. And yeah, I'll have to keep in mind to train the specific type of conditioning that comes from succeeding in strongman. Hill sprints and jogs aren't going to cut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hill sprints and jogs definitely aren't a bad thing. It'll help with footspeed in general, and hill sprints will help with some tenacity, but yeah, specificity is great when you have a contest on the horizon with something you are weak on. At my last contest, me and the guy I was neck and neck with trained in complete opposite ways leading up the contest. He was all cardio and no strength, and I was all strength and no cardio, and we both spent the weeks leading up to the contest training our weaknesses. We ended up being just about even on everything, haha. Long story, but I guess it was to illustrate that you can cover a lot of ground in a short time with a narrow focus, while at the same time your off season work can take care of the qualities you AREN'T training come comp time.

      Delete