Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sick and sniffly. Also trained hungry. Gotta stop these 3-hour long breakfasts and just force-feed myself something in the morning quick(er).

Bench press:
240 x 3
280 x 3
317 x 5
• Was hoping for 6 or 7, but oh well, pretty good. Can't expect a PR every session anymore. A year of that was amazing enough.

Incline bench press:
205 x 3 x 10
205 x 8

Bilateral dumbbell rows:
100s x 5 x 15

Slow dumbbell press:
30s x 25
20s x 30
15s x 30
• Some pec-tendon pain with the 30s. Might go back to wide push-ups instead.

Swiss bar preacher curls:
107 x 10
35 x 20 (slow)

No rear-delt work, wanted to get home and spend new year's eve with my girlfriend. Will throw some in either later or tomorrow. Probably a good thing to let my pecs rest, too.

5 comments:

  1. I don't remember if you got the slingshot, but if you did, that might be worth experimenting with on the DB presses to eliminate pec strain. I got the metal catapult, and I like using it on days when my shoulders feel beat up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm specifically doing the dumbbell pressing for chest hypertrophy, though, and doesn't the slingshot unload the weight at the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It unloads a percentage of it, definitely, but similar to the effect of reverse bands. You'll still be able to handle some weight to impact the chest, but reducing the load at the most vulnerable spot. It's similar to the chain fly concept that Josh Bryant speaks of.

      And now that you got me thinking about that, holy shit, chain flys might actually be a better idea, haha. It would definitely promote some pec hypertrophy while minimizing strain on the pec.

      You probably already read this article, but I remember it stood out to me. There is talk specifically of chain flyes at the bottom.

      http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/get-back-in-the-game-now-recapturing-your-glory-years/

      Delete
  3. It's just that that bottom portion is where most of the strain on the pecs seem to come from and my form is by design intended to emphasize that. I have no pain if I rotate my wrists, keep them neutral, or draw my elbows in, but then I'm compromising isolation a little bit. For some reason, though, wide push-ups have been okay as long as I'm not approaching failure.

    Excellent article, by the way, haven't read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just love playing with new toys, haha.

      Josh comes up with some great articles. Wasn't a big fan of his book on Metroflex Powerbuilding. Never really went into the "why"

      Delete