Monday, April 25, 2011

Entry #855

Squats:
242.5 x 5
280 x 5
317.5 x 11
> Good. Deep. 11 seems to be the magic number lately.

Front squats (snatch grip):
135 x 8
x 8
x 6
> Murder on my wrists. I want to keep at this.

Ball crunches

Critics have crunches all wrong. The problem with them actually has little to do with the back. Try hyperextending on a ball with your body wrapped around the circumference and then do 12 crunches with each rep taking 5 seconds. It's all abs that way. The issue I have is not that they don't hit their target, but that they're similar to calf raises in that they only work through getting a muscle pump. One crunch isn't difficult, but a bunch of them in accumulation are. On the other hand, when I do one rep on an ab wheel or a few seconds of planks, I actually have to exert force to do the rep or hold the position. That's how I discern functionality.

On a sidenote, I can't upload pics because of my crappy dial-up. At least I'll have before and after ones when the time comes.

6 comments:

  1. Why do you have those weird numbers for the weights? Have you been using weights measured in kilograms? Just go to your community college and use their internet to upload the pics. Are you still going, or did you drop out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working with specific percentages of my max. I'll usually have a light 2.5 lb plate, sometimes a 5, on one side.I'm transferring schools now that I'm in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You riding the buses in Portland?  I used to take them all the time.  It's not a terrible transit system all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, I have a car. Public transport is pretty advanced here, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, when did you get your drivers license? Congratulations bro.So what kind of car do you have? What's the license plate number and everything?

    ReplyDelete