Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Entry #506

I trained like Hell yesterday, but didn't feel like recording. Sometimes, I don't want to ruin the purity of a good session by analyzing; everything just worked, and that's that. In brief, I worked the heavy bag in increments throughout the entire day, and then skipped rope at the track.

Today:

Speed bench:
8 X 3     185 lbs.
> Warm-up better next time. I'm starting out too slow, creating a drastic discrepancy between performance at the start versus the end.

Barbell skullcrushers:
3 X 8    135 lbs.

Weighted chin-ups:
4 X 8     25 lbs.
1 X 6     25 lbs.
> These drained my grip. The bar is set high, so I have to jump and latch on, which causes my weight-filled bag to flop and down. I had to switch to a different location on set 4 because a personal trainer and his client came in front of me. They were throwing a ball at the ceiling and catching it. That was after I was working in with someone else doing that exact exercise. Must be a bug going around.
Anyways, I had to do them over at the cable station, holding onto a thick, padded set of handles that were spaced way far apart. As I started, somebody asked me, "What are you training for?" I grunted out "boxing" while in surprise at the retarded form I had to go with. I still managed 8, though.

Barbell shrugs (strict):
1 X 1     365 lbs.
1 X 2     365 lbs.
1 X 4     365 lbs.
> My hands weren't shot by any means, but there was noticeable lack of crushing ability after the chin-ups, made evident by the fact that with each set allowing me time to recover, my reps doubled.

At night, I was hitting the bag again when an earthquake struck. I almost lost my footing in the middle of a good combination I had going. It was only a 5.6, apparently, but I reacted because I thought my bag station was about to collapse from my blows.

5 comments:

  1. I hate those cable station chin setups. I've got a bar in my doorway, but that's about five-ten minutes away from the gym.Come to think of it, what do you think would be the general opinion on setting one of the pins on the power cage to the highest setting and doing chin-ups on those? (this being the only power cage I've come across [...not saying much] that didn't have a pull-up bar built in; also note that I'm literally one of about three people who uses it and we're very rarely in at the same times each day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do what works for you dude. You don't need permission to change things up unless you're planning on deadlifting the cage and moving it to a different location.Variety is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your safety bars go high enough, that'd work great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cable station chinning bars suck so much.  I'm so glad to be back to a straight bar.  You're looking huge Dude, you'll put me to shame when we meet, so you better get over here soon =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't concerned so much with permission as safety. If there was something I had neglected to think of when I came up with the idea a few days ago, I figured that this was probably the best place to ask.Well, the Gamefaqs MA board would also have worked, but here I probably won't get trolled.

    ReplyDelete