Thursday, October 18, 2007

Entry #498

I couldn't find my jab today. My right is still faster than my left (since I started out southpaw), even though I'm now more comfortable with a righty stance (which entails a left jab). I slowed myself down on the bag and focused on mechanics. What ensued: I kept myself extremely compact, almost in peek-a-boo, pushed with my hips to rotate my left side towards the bag, shot out my arm, and retracted. All of a sudden, it clicked in. Dissecting my form like that was invaluable.

To drill them further, I took off the gloves and shadowboxed in front of a mirror, placing emphasis on keeping a straight line with the jab to remove any semblance of "cat pawing". It's something that occurs from laziness during shadowboxing, without the commitment of maintaining a level plane with a punch that has no physical target to land upon.

I'm undeniably limited without a gym and faces to beat up, but all in due time.

3 comments:

  1. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind answering. I did some axe work today (check my page for more complete description). I was wondering if you think this type of training would be beneficial to a grappler (wrestler), or a fighter in general. Would the explosiveness I used in the chops work well with the explosiveness I need for wrestling? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate this into a regular form of training?
    Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will beef up your forearms and help you practice putting your weight behind your advancements. Don't replace anything with it, but keep it up for a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, thank you. I am learning to better use my body as a chain of movement through the strike. This is contrasted by the way I used to just use shoulder rotation mainly.

    ReplyDelete