Monday, March 5, 2007

Entry #386

The state of my back has improved by a significant margin. Flexibility motions throughout the day are key. With that said, I've placed an order for a copy of Stuart McGill's highly acclaimed book, Low Back Disorders. The most alluring aspect of it is the technical standpoint of a medical perspective, and the emphasis on dispelling popular myths on back mechanics and the exercises pertaining to it. His other publication seems to be more of a conventional fitness guide, of which I'm in no short supply of.

In the meantime, I've been making the most of my still~limited range of allowable movement. Hard kicks aren't doable at this point, nor are hooks and upper~cuts. I'm spending my time with straight punches, such as jabs and leads.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your doin' better. Hope the book helps pays for itself and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worse comes to worse you can always do some bicep KURLZ"How do I get big arms?" - "Compound movements in the squat rack""NO thanks, I'll just do some curls"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know you're getting better man, but what did you originally do to injure your back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went too heavy on lunges too soon. I had used 105 lb. dumbbells before, but my back was just recovering from some issues, and I paid the price. Didn't even get a free coupon with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that, I hope your back keeps improving then, there is nothing worse than recurring injuries, just ask my left ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey PPP, mind if I ask what exactly you're doing for your back as far as exercises go? I did something to mine over the weekend, now there's pain in the lower middle. I'm hoping I can get rid of it soon, and thought maybe you could suggest a couple things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing specific to it. I just make sure that my back isn't in one position for a prolonged period of time. It needs to be kept supple and flexible, like a spring. If I have to sit down for homework, I stand up every 20 minutes and do twists and bends and leg raises. The position of sitting is naturally a stressful one, so I avoid it as much as I can. Don't force your back beyond what it's capable of. If it's stiff, don't bend down to get something; squat down instead. Day by day, these reliefs add up for me until I'm recovered.I can give you more scientific information once my book order comes in.

    ReplyDelete