Monday, August 19, 2013

I'm training for a strongman competition that Em invited me to in California a little over a month from now. I attempted to implement one of the events from it today but that didn't go over well.

Overhead press:
165 x 5
190 x 5
215 x 6
> Kickass!

162 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

One-arm lat pulldowns:
200 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
Two arms:
250 x 15

Messed around with 155 lb high pulls

Incline skullcrushers + Fat Gripz:
45s x 10

Rear-felt flyes:
20s x 25, 25

Spider curls:
35s x 10, 10, 12

I was planning on doing clean and jerks with Fat Gripz on the bar to simulate an axle lift but the rule stating that the weight must be lowered under control completely threw me off. Trying to decelerate a heavy barbell from a clean height has fucked my back up in the past; I started noticing it being a problem at 205 before. I'll wear a belt and practice high pulls for now so I can nail the timing of using my legs to brace the fall more than my back.

Ugh. Nothing is less fun than combining Olympic movements and eccentrics.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to let you know about my own experience with it. I just got in some bumper plates and built an axel to train with. I think the lack of rotating sleeves is going to present a challenge as well. Thankfully, I'm so inept and inexperienced with olympic lifts that I doubt I'll notice a difference, but my gameplan is to train the cleans at competition weight for like 8-10 sets of 3 on my squat day just to drill technique and explosiveness, and focus on the pressing portion during my upperbody days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll have no problems thanks the bumpers. Any impact with the plates at my gym makes me leery but I think I can make it work if I use 225 as the training weight (bigger surface area) on top of gymnastic mats that are available here.

    ReplyDelete