Friday, September 23, 2005

Entry #170
Have to cut my strength program short. I'm laying off the squats and
deadlifts for the sake of my back. Granted, it's feeling perfect now,
but that's what I thought last time I injured it. Gonna play it safe
and give it time to recover from that strain. A long-term injury is the
last thing I want. Well, except for cancer or something. But besides
that.

Dumbbell bench press (warm-up): 3 sets; 10, 6, 3 reps (25 lb, 35 lb, 45 lb dumbbells)
Dumbbell bench press: 4 sets; 8, 6, 6, 6 reps(70 lb, 80 lb, 80 lb, 80 lb dumbbells)
Dumbbell flys: 4 sets; 8 reps (45 lb dumbbells)
Incline bench press: 4 sets; 5 reps (145 lbs -- was fatigued)
Dips: 3 sets; 10 reps (bodyweight)
Skull-crushers: 3 sets; 8 reps (30 lb dumbbells)
Cable extension: 4 sets; 8 reps (60 lbs)
Weighted crunches: 5 sets; 20, 15, 15, 12, 12 reps (two 25 lb plates on chest)
Reverse crunches: 3 sets; 12 reps
Speed-bag practice for cooldown. This guy was impressed and wanted me
to show him how to use the speedbag. I had it down in three days --
what a useless exercise. But good for cardio.

9 comments:

  1. I think you're slackin a little. You'd better step it up a knotch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. Then we can have a death-match. First to die loses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good for cardio. Otherwise, the fact that your fist is striking it in a hammer-motion, something you'd never do in a fight, means you're better off spending time on the heavy bag and practicing how you WOULD punch. BASTARD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works just like triceps extensions, the movement is different, but the muscles that are worked are the same. So there is carryover (just as a triceps extension could help any other triceps exercise). But I don't think it's good for cardio, unless you do it for like over 10 minutes straight. Also, coordination training is so underrated it's not even funny. If your arms flail around when you do combos, you have poor coordination.I could notice myself getting slower on the speed bag once I stopped a lot of martial arts training. But within a few speed bag sessions, my speed and lactic acid tolerance (arm "endurance") were back to normal.BASTARD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricep extensions? I'm not sure why you're comparing a lifting exercise to this, but: not anymore than regular boxing drills on the heavy bag would be. Also, saying it's not good cardio unless you do it for over 10 minutes makes no sense. Who does ANY sort cardio for less than 10 minutes in a workout? Of course you have to do it for that long. The same applies to running, swimming, etc.And it doesn't build coordination for punching. Why? Because you don't punch the speed-bag. You use a hammer motion.Pansy (hah I love our debates/insults).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will gain coordination in daily life and punching by using any kind of device that you need to coordinate, such as the jump rope or speed bag. After I started doing the speed bag and boxing in general, my traditional sports performance was way better.10 minutes dude? Have you heard of anaerobics? Aerobics are totally useless for martial arts. In fact, your cardio exercises shouldn't last more than 3 minutes, ever. Some of my HIIT stuff only lasts for 30 second intervals.Start doing real sport martial arts, you psuedo-Ronnie. Learn about rounds, and intervals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will gain even more punching coordination by....you guessed it, PUNCHING.So when you go out to run, you don't go more than 3 minutes? I'm not talking about intervals. I'm talking the entire time you're out doing cardio.And I'm not Ronnie, you're the one obsessed with the man. Jay would own him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, you got me on that one. I'll go with Pudzianowski from now on.

    ReplyDelete